Thursday, February 23, 2006

Last Night Grandpa Called

This is a true story.

Last night my grandpa passed away and last night I had a dream. I was in the grocery store trying to decide what candy bar I wanted. I was at the register to pay when my phone rang. I answered, “Hello?”
The voice on the other end said, “Brittany, this is grandpa, I’m going to die.”
I didn’t say anything at first I just sat directly down on the floor of the grocery store.
Finally, I said, “I love you, grandpa.”
He replied, “I love you, too.”
“Well, at least you can go to Heaven, right?” I asked.
And he replied, yes that he was going to Heaven.
Then there was a conversation between us, I can’t tell you exactly what was said but it was mostly just us being us. Then there was a silence between us, an understanding. The same easy, silence that always rests between two people who just understand each other so much that words could never express it. I know he smiled. I saw grandpa and grandma’s house. I can’t you that grandpa’s body was there, because it was in the hospital. But I would like to believe it was his spirit. He walked around his yard one more time. He looked out over the barnyard once more. He petted Dillar softly on the head and then he went toward the gate. He passed on through that gate and went on to Heaven forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home